Filed under: Photography, Typography, University Work | Tags: Comic Sans, Plaster
So today I finally got round to painting my letter pure white ready for the “day out” tomorrow at uni. It’s come out alright, just wish I could get a finish on the letter which didn’t show the brush strokes. Still not sure how to destroy my letter though!
FILM CREATES STUFF
Working together with Alison Coggan We spent two very long days creating a stop motion animation, finishing off with the shrine which would also double as a still image.
Monday we spent hours working on the animation. We wanted the camera to be moving with the animation which made the whole process far harder. We decided that in order to get a smooth motion, we would use masking tape to mark out lines on the floor, meaning there would be an equal gap between each photograph. The end result was no where near what we were looking for in terms of how smooth the camera moved. I had a think and came upon the idea of using a skateboard together with a tripod to get the movements we wanted. We scrapped all the work done monday, and tuesday morning went to the 3d workshop to drill a triangular piece of wood which would could fit the tripod onto it. This was then used with the skateboard to create shots moving forwards or backwards.
We worked two solid days creating almost 20 scenes for the animation, resulting in many thousand of images. We also rigged the scene with studio lighting for the final shots to give a more authentic and grand atmosphere to the finished image of the shrine, which showed hundreds of things like train tickets, badges, football stickers, and postcards all hung separately in small plastic bags.
The next stage will be to choose the best photograph to use for the shrine, and then to edit the animation and create sounds for each thing that happens. The animation will be online once we finish it.
Filed under: Typography, University Work | Tags: History, Layout, Letterpress, Technique, Typography
Hoxton Letterpress Day
Thursday I finally got the chance to use and create with a letterpress. It was an incredible experience which helped me gain a far better understanding of type and how letterforms work together. The place itself was full of beautiful type, hundreds of draws filled with differently sized typefaces, each with their own characteristics. I was quite taken back by how much work used to go into printing. The fact newspapers were ever created this way is quite unbelievable as the process is so time consuming.
We were given a few hours to decide the theme of our poster, which ended up being “Design envy”. As a group we then came up with ten lines which we felt reflected design envy.
1.Tear the damn thing apart / Put it back together
2. Fearless & Fierce
3. Make them Believe
4. Break the rules BUT Stick to the brief
6. Pimp it up & Strip it back
7. Own the Idea
8. Try something you can’t do
9. Create the Spectacular
10. Tempt and Provoke
Printing the Poster
Once everyone had created their phrase, Graham (Owner of the letterpress workshop) moved everyones work to a central block. They were positioned perfectly in a vertical line, before being inked up and printed onto crisp white paper.
I found the whole day a great, fascinating experience. I now feel I have a far greater understand of the way type fits together. The points system, and old methods of print are still so relevant today. Digital lets you go far beyond what can be done in a place like this, but there is still something about the quality you get which is simply unachievable in any other way. The fact it is also such a time consuming and limited process adds far more worth to the designs. I would love at some point to go back and experiment further. I found the day massively inspiring, although I must say, the look of the actual printing blocks is what I found most interesting.
Filed under: 3D, University Work | Tags: Casting, Comic Sans, Making, Plaster, Workshop
On Friday I finally got round to having my 3D workshop, cutting the letter “x” in Comic Sans out of mdf. The project brief, is to create a letter in comic sans, then destroy it. We have to make two versions, one from wood, which will be kept, and the other from any material you want, which you destroy.
I took my wood letter down to the casting area of the workshop, and created a clay wall around the letter, this will hold the rubber mould in place till it dries. I applied three coats of varnish to the letter, with half an hour break between coats, and also cut up a mountain of rubber, ready to be liquified and poured into my mould.
Filed under: University Work | Tags: Exhibition, Gallery, Promotion, Vending Machine
We had been in talks with several people at the university about getting a grid ticket into the vending machine, and on friday, after creating the boxes and postering the event we managed to persuade the cafeteria guys to give us some space in the vending machine. That means you can now buy a Grid Space in the vending machine for 55p!!!
Filed under: Features, University Work | Tags: Chelsea, Feature, The Grid
Still working on more things for the Grid…
We are selling spaces personally, on Ebay, and now in the Canteen Vending Machine!!!
Of course we didn’t want some bits of scrap paper lying in there, so I set about creating some Origami.
I made a very tiny cube to begin with, then a bigger one, which was scribbled on each side that needed printing, and unravelled it to create a template.
I did a very simple mock up for the box, printed it, and set about creating something along the lines of the final box ticket…
This was the first box, Wasn’t quite happy with the design of it though, I had used the grid image off the poster, but it just didn’t quite work in this context.
I stripped the design back, and kept it to simply Black and White.
Below is the poster we’ve done which will be up around the university.